Thursday, December 10, 2009

Why I came to BYU-Idaho

Last summer, I began to prepare my application to go to BYU at Provo. I was excited about it. I had jsut a spent a semester there during the summer and did well. The campus was wonderful, the library amazing. I had so many friends from the mission and from Florida who were attending.

But something changed. On a superfiscal level, a wonderful woman came into my life. Of course, at this point we were just friends writing back and forth as she finished her mission. She was attending BYU-Idaho and was willing to transfer schools if it meant we could spend more time together.

I began to give it a lot of thought, which I never, ever did before. My mother had attended Ricks. But me? I never considered it. I confess that I thought it second rate.

It turns out that all my roommates (all five I had while at BYU for 6 months) came from BYU-Idaho. There was one exception: Tim, who was a resident of Rexburg and his father taught there. I had my own panel of experts to ask.

Most importantly, I began to pray about it. It really didn't take long to realize that BYU-Idaho was the school for me.

So I altered my application. First choice, BYU-Idaho. Second choice, Provo. A few weeks later I got my approval and immediately accepted the offer.

My first Bishop up here challenged us to find out why were accepted. As I now prepare to enter my third semester up here, I am overwhelmed thinking back to that challenge, and what has transpired.

I came across this new video used by admissions. It's a powerful example of the spirit that drew me here. Of course, at that time, I had no idea of President Eyring's Prophecy he had made. But I felt like something I had to offer and something to gain from this place. My emotions stirred as I watched this video and felt the spirit again renew the confirmation I have had that school is where I need to be.

I know the Lord was the one who brought me here. Next to my decision to serve a mission, my choice to come here to BYU-Idaho has proved completely revolutionary in my life.

Enjoy the video.

BYU-Idaho Promotional Video from BYU-Idaho on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Did I see your arm in that video?!